24 Oct Benefits of Bacon and keto
Bacon has gained a bad reputation in mainstream media. There are three main reasons for that:
- it has high level of saturated fat
- it has high level of sodium
- it contains nitrates (sodium and potassium nitrates)
Let’s talk about each one of them…
1) Saturated fat
There is NO evidence that:
- too much saturated fat raises cholesterol
- saturated fat causes heart disease
- high cholesterol causes heart disease
- lowering cholesterol reduces heart disease
- there is a correlation between obesity rates and the amount of fat consumption
- there is a correlation between obesity rates and the amount of protein consumption
The types of fat you should be worried about are toxic trans fats and polyunsaturated fats, particularly high omega 6 and omega 3 ratio.
Bottom line: Don’t be afraid of saurated fat.